Friday, May 1, 2009

Mother's Day

3Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. Titus 2:3-5
This month as we remember Mother's Day, I am celebrating by honoring the mother's in my life and the "older women" who have been like Moms to me.
To my mom and mom-in-love, you have been shining examples to me, showing me how to love my husband and children, how to love in sickness and health, for richer for poorer. Now that they are both widows, they continue to teach me how to live.
In our first pastorate I was the new kid in town, young not knowing very many people except those in our congregation. A retired pastor and his wife were part of our fellowship. She was my first spiritual mother, taking me out to lunch, praying for me and helping me when our first child was born, thank you Pat.
In our next two churches there were women who again helped me raise my children, teaching me how to be a mom. One of the things that impressed me most was they were godly women who lived honestly and transparently before God. They taught me to not take life so seriously and laugh along the way.
Which brings me to LaFayette Alliance and the women of God who are teaching me to serve God beyond retirement, loving God with all their heart, mind and soul, loving their husbands, children and grandchildren, being servants of God wherever God calls them whether that is taking food to a new mom or visiting someone in the hospital or going around the world to share the love of our Savior with other women, and sharing many cups of coffee or lunch with me, praying for and with me, again shining examples to me of what it means to be a True Woman so that God's Word will not be reviled. To those who are not biological mothers, I would encourage you to be a "mom" to someone, the world could use more women like those I've just mentioned.

Happy Mother's Day

"Motherhood is the greatest tool I know for God to shape me and mold me and chisel me for eternity." Holly Elliff

1 comment:

Tamela's Place said...

You are blessed to have so many motherly examples in your life.. I can tell by your writings that you have been a mother figure as well.. So Happy mother's day to you Jody :)