Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This Momentary Marriage

Our 24th wedding anniversary is approaching, and I would be lying if I said our marriage has always been easy. We are both first born children and have that stubborn streak. Our disagreements have been over how to raise kids, finances, how we will spend our days off, and the list goes on. But our love for God and fear of Him has kept our marriage permanent. We both know by the grace of God we are together until death do us part. We have known each other for almost thirty years and I cannot imagine my life without my spouse.  Recent experiences in my own family and our church family illustrate to  me that one spouse is taken and the other is left.I am learning to continually find my identity in Christ not in my role as a mother, wife, pastor's wife, daughter, sister, etc. These roles change or end then what? 
John Piper is one of my favorite authors. He also is the senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis, but I already have a favorite preacher.
John Piper is the author of numerous books, one of my favorites is This Momentary Marriage-Parable of Permanence.
"A christian woman does not put her hope in her husband, or in getting a husband. She does not put her hope in her looks or her intelligence or her creativity. She puts her hope in the promises of God. She is described in Proverbs 31:25: Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She laughs at everything the future could bring because she hopes in God."
(p. 97)

Do I know my Bible? Am I convinced that my sovereign God will always be with me and help me no matter what?  Where do you put your hope? (p.97)

2 comments:

Lori said...

I need to add this book to my list :).

Janel said...

Great points to think about! Thanks!