Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lucy,(not her real name) is a long time friend of mine who was an inspiration to me many years ago. We became fast friends when she began attending the church we were ministering in. She was a young mom, was well-trained on the piano, we were on the same worship team, she loved the Lord with all her heart, mind and soul.
She excitedly shared with me one day she was expecting their second child. It was mostly an uneventful pregnancy, as far as I knew.
The call to our home came late one evening towards the end of her pregnancy. Lucy was in early labor, but there was nothing to worry about since she was almost term. By the time we made our way to the hospital to welcome this baby into the world an ultra sound had been done to determine if the lungs of this child were mature enough to breathe on her own.
Something else had been found...
Lucy and her husband welcomed their new baby into the world, but she would only live for a few minutes. I can still see my husband walking through the swinging doors of the room where she was laying in her hospital bassinet to lay hands on her and pray for her as she left this world to enter into eternity onto the lap of Jesus.
We made our way to the room of Lucy and her husband to comfort, pray, and wrap our arms around this husband and wife who had gone to the hospital to deliver their second child, only to go home to prepare for a funeral.
Her words to me as I leaned over to hug and comfort her...

"I know I am going through this for a reason and God is going to use this time in my life to glorify Himself and help others who will go through the same experience."

Lucy not only knew God's Word, she knew the God of the Word.