Thursday, January 7, 2010

True Beauty

 8 God said to Satan, "Have you noticed my friend Job? There's no one quite like him—honest and true to his word, totally devoted to God and hating evil." (Job 1:8, The Message)

26-28In the sixth month of Elizabeth's pregnancy, God sent the angel Gabriel to the Galilean village of Nazareth to a virgin engaged to be married to a man descended from David. His name was Joseph, and the virgin's name, Mary. Upon entering, Gabriel greeted her:
    Good morning!
   You're beautiful with God's beauty,
   Beautiful inside and out!
   God be with you. (Luke 1:28, The Message)

This past fall my ladies Sunday School classs began studying the book of Job. You can find my postings for each lesson under Studies In Job. This is my first time teaching this book and have found it interesting, challenging, tedious at times(I have to be truthful!), surprising, but in the end God glorifying.
I have been struck by Job 1:8 and as I went through the Christmas season found myself going back to Luke 1:28.
I want to be totally devoted to God, I want God to call me His friend, and would He say about me the same He said about Mary when the angel came to her to give her the news of what was about to happen to her?
Other versions call her "favored one" or "highly favored one".
Rather than follow the latest beauty secret, newest magical cream for my face, or the latest diet trend, I want God to smile at me, saying "you are beautiful with God's beauty, beautiful on the inside and out".

2 comments:

Edie said...

Oh yes I want to respond like Mary too. "Whatever you say God, I'm at your service."

Tamela's Place said...

I want God to smile at me, saying "you are beautiful with God's beauty, beautiful on the inside and out".

Amen Jody that should be the desire of every one of God's children.. Amen and Amen!