Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I have been having a discussion with my husband regarding how much or how less we as women do to look attractive without being a distraction. I for one like a new outfit,  with earrings and maybe a bangly braclet to match. How do I know when I've gone too far? Or what about not wearing any makeup or tasteful clothes? Isn't God the creator of beauty and didn't He give us eyes to enjoy the His beautiful creation? What does 1 Peter 3:-4 really mean?

"Do not let your adorning be external--the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing--but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious."

I think there are two extremes where there is too much paint on the barn. But the other extreme is a distraction to me as well. What about our hearts? Do I have the imperishable beauty that is not just precious but very precious in God's sight? 
I would like to know what you think about this subject where our culture is enamored with beauty and their definition of it. Am I following Christ in this area or the culture I live in?


1 comment:

Lori said...

Good thoughts Jody. Eli and I discuss the dress of teen girls. Hearing from a male point of view is something that women have no clue or we would dress differently even at age 50!

I think if you are drawing attention to yourself with clothing or makeup it is too much. If it enhances your natural beauty or looks 'barely-there' but lets your inner beauty shine, then you are more apt to talk to people in public and engage strangers. If I have no make up on and my ratty sweatshirt, I tend to want to crawl under my cart if I see someone I know. :)