Thursday, May 13, 2010

Studies in Colossians

My women's Sunday School continues to  make their way through the book of Colossians. In Chapter 3 Paul continues to address the believers at Colossae encouraging them to take off sin like a dirty pair of work clothes and put on Christ, new clothes. In Christ we have a new identity, so our behavior needs to line up with that identity. Put to death immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, anger, wrath, malice, slander and abusive speech.Idols of the heart. (v.5,8)
Put on, those chosen by God, compassions, kindness, humility, meekness and patience. Bear with one another, forgiving as the Lord forgives.
How do we specifically put these evils to death and put on the new self?
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly...
v.16
Is God's Word at home in my heart? Do I take advantage of the word preached and taught? Do I sing God's Word or listen to praise and worship music? Do I thank God for his written word, meditating and memorizing it? And can I say...
Your words were found, and I ate them, 
and your words became to me a joy
and the delight of my heart,
for I am called by your name,
O Lord, God of hosts.
Jeremiah 15:16

No comments: