Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tribute to a Friend

Friend= a person attached to another by feelings of affection or personal regard- dictionary.com

I've moved several times in my life. Whether it was off to college, or moving from one pastorate to another, God has always given me special friends to spend my life with. Thanks to facebook I can now talk to friends I made in college who live in other states. I also have a girlfriend I've had since we were born. Our mothers are friends, becoming closer in the past year as she has walked the path of grief with me. And other girlfriends in several states keeping in touch by phone, emails, the occasional letter and Christmas card.
In a couple of weeks I will be saying goodbye to another dear friend who is our church office administrator. My husband has been her boss, but she has become like a sister to me and a dear friend to our youngest daughter. He wrote his newsletter article for the month of September in honor of her and her husband, who also helped birth the church we now serve. He included the following quote from C. S. Lewis and it immediately tugged at my heart as I think of her and the many friends God has given me.


"True friends don't spend time gazing into each other's eyes. They may show great tenderness toward each other, but they face in the same direction--toward common projects, interests, goals--above all, toward a common Lord."

"A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24


The best part about saying goodbye is that it is not a final goodbye, for we will see each other again around the throne of God worshipping Him whom we love.

No comments: