Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I'm Not Your Girlfriend

On my way today to speak to a Mother's of Preschoolers group. We will be discussing the Friendships of Women and how we shouldn't expect our spouse to fulfill all of the needs we have as women. I certainly can relate since my wonderful husband told me shortly after we were married, in a loving, tactful way of course, and I quote "I'm not your girlfriend"! I was a little surprised when he said that to me, but knew what he meant.
Over the years we have both learned to like what each of us enjoys, but there are just some things better done and enjoyed with girlfriends.
I wanted to go see Julie and Julia, the movie about Julia Childs. He was a happy camper when I found a girlfriend to go with. And he really doesn't want to know how I cure diaper rash or how I can cook a roast in half the time, etc. We all need at least one female friend that we can be an open book with, a confidante, who will encourage us to love God with all our heart, mind, and soul, a friend who will hold us accountable while at the same time giving us their favorite recipe while we take a hike together.
Titus 2:3-5 tells us what kind of friend to look for and what kind of friend we can be to other women.
More on that tomorrow.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Love this post. So true, but never heard it put in those words, from a man. :)

Janel said...

This makes so much sense!

Gigi said...

I guess my Sweet Hubby and I were the exceptions to the rule...I never really felt the *need* for girlfriends. I had (and have) them, mind you...but there just was no one I would rather have spent my time with than my husband. And he felt the same way. We broadened each other's horizons by sharing our interests! I learned to love perusing the aisles of Home Depot or Lowes and he enjoyed (more than me, I think) our local craft markets!

Jody, I want to thank you for the lovely card you made for me on the anniversary of my Sweet Hubby's Homegoing. It meant the world to me that you were holding me up in prayer and that you took the time to let me know in such a loving, thoughtful way.

Greetings! said...

I can so relate, and I think they must be related some how too:) I can talk an ear off and though my husband loves me (and attemts to listen with great interest) he would prefer I share my hours of deep thoughts with a friend.....and give him the abbreviated version. And it is totally okay. I know who I can call or text:)