Monday, November 9, 2009

An Instrument of Grace


City Boy-Farm Girl

Milk-Coffee

White Bread-100 % Wheat Bread

Plain Cheeseburger-Big Mac

Box Brownies-Homemade Chocolate Cake

Inside Reading-Outside Reading

Turn Heat Up-Turn Heat Down

Twenty-four years ago today Rob and I tied the knot.
As different as we are, as this list suggests,  our love for each other has grown as well as our love for our Lord and God's Word. We have served the Lord together even before we were married as Rob was a fill-in preacher at local churces while we were in college and I would go with him for the day.
My husband has been one of God's instruments of grace in my life as I've sat under his God-centered, Bible saturated teaching and preaching for almost thirty years. He has taught and modeled before me what it means to live the cross-centered life. God has taught me through this man of God that I am more than a conqueror and how God's Word can fill my heart and mind so I may think God's thoughts and be conformed to the image and character of Jesus.
Being married has been one of the hardest things I've ever done, but I've never wanted to take this journey with anyone else. We've had our ups and downs,many times deceived into believing that our life should look like one of those movie romances or happily ever after's in Christian fiction stories where the husband brings the wife flowers every night looking lovingly into her eyes as the fire in the fireplace burns low and romantic. Those wonderful gifts do exist in a marriage but they are often the exception not the norm.  Rob and I both meant 'till death do us part.' And I think the devil prowls even closer and louder to Christians and their families lurking in the corners of pastor's homes seeking to destroy the lives of those who are proclaiming the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Thanking God today for this instrument of grace, father of our children, and patient and loving husband to this wife who loves him more than I can say.
Happy Anniversary honey!


5 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautifully put Jody! Congratulations to you and Pastor Rob!

Terri said...

Happy Anniversary, Jody & Rob!!!

Lori said...

Weathering the storms of life together...God is smiling on you today as he was 24 years ago...I remember those taffy pink dresses :)

Jody said...

And you looked fabulous Lori in pink! Thank you for being there that day.

Gigi said...

What a wonderful tribute to your marriage! I'm sorry I missed wishin you a Happy Anniversary yesterday...I hope you had a beautiful day together!