Monday, December 13, 2010

Everlasting Love

Re-posted from Christmas '09

Lydia (not her real name) as far as I know was born in the church. Her father was a deacon and her mother sang in the choir. Baby Lydia was dedicated to the Lord by her parents spending many hours of her young life at church. From the very beginning she heard Jesus Loves Me This I  Know believing it with all her heart. She wanted the whole world to know or at least her little part of it that she was following Jesus, so at a tender young age she was baptized dying to sin and being born again, a new creature in Christ. As a teen she went to Sunday School, was on the quiz team, and did what she thought was all the right things to do as a follower of Jesus. As she graduated from high school her heart's desire was to be a wife and mom, God granted that desire to her, following in the footsteps of her mother, raising children and keeping a beautiful home for her family, worshipping and working in her church.
And yet...


many, many years later when visited by her pastor she would repeat over and over: "O pastor, I hope I make it to heaven when I leave this nursing home." I'm just not sure I will see Jesus when I leave this body behind."


How sad for Lydia, who had lived her life, coming to the end of it, not sure if she would be with her Savior.

Makes me wonder if she had not heard that God's love and faithfulness is everlasting.

"Thus says the Lord...I have loved you with an everlasting love;
therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you."
Jeremiah 31:3

Building my hope on Jesus' blood and His righteousness, as I worship the newborn King.


1 comment:

Gigi said...

Oh how heartbreaking...but I think that is the reality for many who believe they somehow have to "earn" the love of our Savior. Praise God that is not true!!

I love your new blog look, Jody!