Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's Age Got To Do With It?

As another birthday is in my very near future, I don't dread the age change or the fact that I am even closer to a BIG birthday next year. I did look a little closer in the mirror last night while getting ready to go out, seeing a couple of new wrinkles that seemed to form overnight. Did I reach for the anti-aging cream? Did I cry because I think I'm above getting wrinkles because I try to take care of my skin? Did I worry that I am becoming unattractive to the world? Did I stay home because my earthly body is fading away? No! I am also seeing more white hair than I did a year ago and a 20 minute power nap in the afternoon is always welcome, which tells me I 'ain't as young as I used to be.'
I thank God for His mercies that are new every morning, a family to spend my life with, and the opportunity to laugh and drink coffee with friends.
I want to be a woman who fears the Lord because that is the beginning of wisdom. I want to trust and obey rather than despising wisdom and instruction.(Proverbs 1:7)
And I want to know Jesus Christ better than I did yesterday. I want to make a point everyday of looking out for the interests of others rather than my own. It doesn't matter how young or old I am because I want to glorify God whatever age I may be.

"...as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be ashamed, but with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death."
Philippians 1:20

(Re-written from last year)

3 comments:

Lori said...

Great post! As I approach 50, I'm starting to LOVE what that looks like, inside and out :D

Janel said...

This post reminds me of the first verse I ever memorized: Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. (Proverbs 31:30)

Susanna Rose said...

Jody, this is such a beautiful reminder of what our priorities should be as Christian women! I may just have to steal some of your thoughts in one of my posts next week! You exude wisdom! Thank you for this!:)