Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Sliver in my Finger

Ever have sliver in your finger that was so small it was almost impossible to remove? You dig and dig with whatever is handy to get the intruder out of your finger? It becomes red and inflamed and is irritating until it is removed. The smallest of slivers can become a big distraction. I am always on a mission to get it removed even if I have to squeeze my finger until it hurts to get that thing gone.
I had one of those recently...
As I was trying my hardest to rid my hand of this little sliver I thought of the "little" sins in my  life that tend to
(As a blogger who attempts to post on a daily basis, I am always looking for the spiritual analogy)
distract. I tell myself I don't murder, cheat on my husband, steal from my neighbor or lie to my family. Before those thoughts are even finished, God says to me... pharisee! who prayed, saying to God, 'I'm not like this tax collector, I pray three times a day, I fast...'
It is the sins of discontent, murmuring, complaining, wanting my own way, calling people names, if not out loud at least in my heart, cutting someone off in traffic, telling that little white lie _________you fill in the blank. Theses distractions eat at my heart and soul, robbing me of joy in the Lord and the intimate relationship I want to have with my Lord.
 Those little sins convince me that I am better than those who have murdered and hated their neighbor.
Am I the pharisee or the tax collector?
How far will I go to remove these sins, even though the removal may cause some pain?
Catch the foxes for us,
the little foxes
that spoil the vineyards,
for our vineyards are in blossom.
Song of Solomon 2:15

No comments: