Friday, July 30, 2010

Wedding Bells

Here in the East a famous wedding is supposedly taking place this weekend. Speculation has it that Chelsea Clinton is getting married tomorrow in Rhinebeck, NY not far from where we used to live downstate. Rhinebeck is a beautiful little village with many mansions surrounding it not far from the breathtaking views of the Hudson River. I don't follow the celebrities too closely, but did see this on the news today, which got me thinking about another wedding that took place fifty years ago today.


July 30, 1960 a farm boy and his high school sweetheart tied the knot. Obviously I wasn't there, I'm not fifty, YET! But I came along two years later. Today my parents would have celebrated fifty years of marriage had not God taken my dad home. But I'm still remembering because of their example of what it means to be married to one person for so long. They loved and lived and raised a family 'until death do us part.' I'm sure they had their problems and hardships, but they stayed true to their wedding vows and kept their promise before God.
Being married has been one of the hardest things I've ever done. We are two sinners who sin against each, who sin to get our own way, who sin just because...
I have to remind myself on a daily basis that I am being conformed to the image of Jesus and my marriage needs to be conformed in the image of Christ also.
Marriage may be hard, but I know I would not want it any other way. Looking forward to our own celebration later this year.

No comments: