Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Comforts from the Cross

In a recent post I indicated  I was re-reading Comforts from the Cross by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I love the sub-title--Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time.
It is so easy to hit the ground running when I roll out of bed every morning. There is always so much to do, so many places to be by a certain time, so many activities I know I just cannot miss. Do I celebrate everyday God gives me? or am I just running?

Comfort=relief in affliction; consolation; a feeling of relief or consolation; a person or thing that gives consolation (Dictionary.com)

As the first glimpses of the rising sun peek through my window and I awaken to another day what am I thinking about as I head to the coffeepot, shower or the kids bedroom to wake them for the day?
Celebrating Jesus is not hard to do when we know the truths of what the gospel is and what Christ has done for us. We are no longer slaves to sin and the discouragement and depression that so easily entangles us when we think we have to struggle through each day 'trying to be good.'

Fitzpatrick begins by saying in her introduction she loves celebrations. This book is a month's worth of daily celebrations. Reminding us to take comfort in the cross of Jesus Christ. How the facts of Jesus' birth, death and resurrection should "free, gladden and enliven our soul every day---when you're struggling to balance the checkbook, stuck in traffic or in a hospital bed,or just bored with the same-old-same-old."

Where do I find my comfort everyday? Comforted in the fact there is money in the bank? happily married to the man of my dreams? finding my identity in the my children and their activities? comforted by the fact I am in good health? looking in the mirror to find those gray hairs and wrinkles because it is easier to do than taking the time to nourish my soul with the living Word of God?
All questions I have asked myself.
Taking comfort in Jesus Christ and the realities of the penalty he has paid for my sin, that I am forgiven and soon he will come again to take me to my heavenly home where I will be with Christ is where I want to begin my day.
This is a great book to use for your devotions each day reminding us who we are in Christ and what we have to celebrate everyday.
You can find the book here. She also has her own web site. On my Top 5 favorite authors.

No comments: