Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tetherball Anyone

Listening to the radio this week a voice from God spoke,(not really) but God used this radio program to show me what my heart, mind and soul loves. I do make it my goal to love God with all my heart, with all my mind and with all my soul and to love my neighbor as myself. Is that goal accomplished everyday? You should probably ask my husband, children and Ginger, our cat. The question that pulled my ears closer to the radio?
"Is my heart tethered to the Word of God?"
Tethered =" the utmost length to which one can go in action; the utmost extent or limit of ability or resources." (Dictionary.com)
I think of the tetherball pole and ball I used to play with my sisters for hours in our backyard. The ball is attached with a rope with the rope attached to the pole. The goal  is to hit the ball to the person standing on the opposite side, trying to get the ball past that person.




The ball is tightly fastened to the pole so it cannot go anywhere but round and round.
The question I have been asking myself this week?
Am I so tethered to the Word of God affecting my words, actions, thoughts?
 
I can teach Sunday School, women's Bible studies and counsel from the Word but God sees my heart and am I convinced God's Word is not only true but truth? The only truth?What do I fill my mind with or watch on tv or the computer? Do I look forward with great anticipation to reading and studying His Word? The same excitement that wells up in me when I think about my loved ones,or my next shopping trip or vacation? Is it God's Word that comes to mind when there is a decision to be made or a problem to be solved? Am I convinced the Bible is all I need for life and godliness? Tough questions? 
Questions I am asking myself  as I once again look forward to the celebration of Christ's coming when the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

No comments: